Doctor ABOU-ELEW had her MB BCh. in December 1991, Faculty of Medicine, Cairo University, EGYPT. She had her M. Sc. in November 1995 and MD degree in May 2000 in Audiology and Vestibular Medicine from Cairo University. She obtained a Diplôme Universitaire (D.U.) “Audioprothèse Implantée” from Faculté de Médecine Pierre et Marie Curie, Université Paris VI Paris, FRANCE in July 2009. She joined, as full-time clinical fellow, the Vestibulometry Unit with Dr. Sylvette Wiener-Vacher in Robert Debré Hospital, Paris from June 2007 to August 2009 and had an extensive work in pediatric vestibular examination.
Prof. ABOU-ELEW has lectured extensively in the areas of neurotology, pediatric vestibular assessment, central auditory processing, electrophysiology, CI and complex case disorders and their management. She has supervised more than 25 Master of Science and Doctorate theses in the field of Audio-Vestibular Medicine, Neurology and Otolaryngology. In addition, she has many peer-reviewed publications in a variety of Otolaryngology, Audiology and Neuroscience related journals. She was invited to present her research in many national, regional and international conferences. She works as a Professor of Audio-Vestibular Medicine, ORL Department in Faculty of Medicine, Cairo University from 2010. Currently, she joined Skeikh Salem Al-Ali Centre for Speech and Hearing Therapy, Kuwait as a Consultant from November 2019 till present.
She has 28 years of clinical practice in diagnosis and management of patients suffering from dizziness / vertigo or hearing loss in adults as well as in children. She has also a long experience in cochlear implant programming as well as in tinnitus and hyperacusis management.
- Abdullah A. Gibriel, Maha H. Abou‑Elew, Saber Masmoudi (2019). Analysis of p.Gly12Valfs*2, p.Trp24* and p.Trp77Arg mutations in GJB2 and p.Arg81Gln variant in LRTOMT among non syndromic hearing loss Egyptian patients: implications for genetic diagnosis. Molecular Biology Reports 46 (2): 2139-2145.
- El- Khosht MM, Abou-Elew MH, El-Shennawy AM, Salam RF, Makkeyah YM, Abdelmohsin AL (2018). Early vestibulospinal reflex changes in type 2 diabetes mellitus in relation to peripheral neuropathy. Otorinolaringologia 68(3):101-107
- Abou-Elew MH, Hosni NA, Obaid EA, Ewida AH (2017). The N3 Potential and the Efferent Cochlear Pathway in Profound Sensorineural Hearing Loss. J Laryngol Otol 131: 334-340
- Abou-Elew M, El-Khousht M, El-Minawi MS, Selim M, Kamel AI (2014). Enlarged Vestibular Aqueduct in Congenital Non-Syndromic Sensorineural Hearing Loss in Egypt. Indian J Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 66 (Suppl 1): 88 – 94
- Oyoun HA, Abou-Elew M, Mosleh M, Fathy H, Wageeh W, El Hassan MA (2014). Systemic steroids and intratympanic steroids perfusion as an initial therapy for idiopathic sudden sensorineural hearing loss, a comparative study. Egypt J Otolaryngol 30: 215-219
- Wiener-Vacher SR, Obeid R, Abou-Elew M (2012). Vestibular Impairment after Bacterial Meningitis Delays Infant Posturomotor Development. J Pediatr 161 (2): 246 – 251